Healthy Hoops is a community-focused, hands-on program that teaches children and their families how to manage asthma and its related health conditions.
Getting kids back in the gameView Events
Using basketball as a platform, Healthy Hoops not only provides a fun, active learning environment for children ages 3 to 18. It also encourages them to adopt healthy lifestyles and behaviors, helping them to better understand their asthma, reduce or eliminate chronic diseases, and take charge of their health — on and off the court.
In addition to providing health screenings, we also educate families on topics such as:
- Tobacco, e-cigarettes, and vaping.
- Asthma triggers.
- Medication management.
- Asthma-conscious cleaning.
- Proper nutrition and weight management.
We promote Healthy Hoops to all who can attend, regardless of health insurance coverage. We’ll even arrange for transportation, so we can reach as many people as possible.
Battling asthma and obesity
Asthma is a serious health concern for many communities, especially those with health care challenges and poor housing or environmental conditions that can exacerbate breathing problems.
One in 13 people have asthma, including one in 12 children. The economic and health care costs of asthma are more than $81.9 billion annually.1 Asthma is also a leading cause of absenteeism in schools, so properly managing it not only leads to better health outcomes — it can help keep kids in school and lead to better educational outcomes as well.
Since we started Healthy Hoops in 2002, we’ve worked with over 25,000 families and provided over 3,500 health screenings. Our work has been so successful that we’ve been recognized by the National Committee for Quality Assurance (NCQA) and America's Health Insurance Plans (AHIP) for innovation and leadership.
- Asthma and Allergy Foundation of America, “Asthma Facts and Figures.”
Healthy Hoops virtual workshops
COVID-19 isn't slowing down our efforts to build healthy communities. We're offering a series of no-charge webcasts on a variety of topics:
- Your Family, Your Fitness, Your Food (PDF) Opens a new window : Learn the importance of a healthy lifestyle and the impact that it has on your family’s well-being.
- BREATHE: Asthma, COPD, and Your Family (PDF) Opens a new window : An opportunity for caregivers and patients to participate in a question and answer session with clinical experts.